The Ali Mustafa Memorial Award assists a freelance journalist in carrying out a photojournalism project. It is distributed once a year.
The award is valued at a maximum of $3,000 (CAD) and may be used to cover the following costs: travel expenses, equipment, training, visa, insurance, and living expenses (if traveling abroad).
The successful candidate will also receive a one-year Freelance Membership in the Canadian Media Guild (valued at $150) and a one-year Professional Membership in the News Photographers Association of Canada (valued at $75).
All eligible candidates must:
- Be based in Canada (Canadian citizenship or legal status is not required)
- Be under the age of 35
- Propose a photojournalism project
- Not be employed on a full-time, permanent, or salaried basis by any media organization (*Applicants who are affiliated with a media organization on a part time, contractual or temporary basis remain eligible*)
The proposed photojournalism project must:
- Help expand public understanding of a contemporary social or political issue or grassroots social movements
- Be carried out within 12 months after the announcement of award results
- Applicants from underprivileged and under-represented communities are particularly encouraged to apply
All applications should include the following:
- Application form, including project description, tentative schedule and personal statement – download .docx or .pdf
- Proposed budget – download .docx or .pdf
- Resume – max 3 pages (Please note that extensive past experience is not required)
- Five (5) samples of photography work
- Must be in JPEG format and no more than 8MB per photo
- Please send all samples in your submission email either as individual attachments or compressed as a ZIP file
Only one submission per applicant is allowed. If you submit multiple applications, only the first will be considered.
Incomplete or late applications will not be accepted.
Please send all components of the application in one email to: AliMustafaAward@gmail.com
September 15, 2017 – Applications open
January 5, 2018 – Application deadline
February 15, 2018 – Notification of results
The successful candidate will:
- Complete proposed project within 12 months following the announcement of award results
- Communicate any changes to the proposed project to the Collective
- Provide a complete financial report of expenses within 30 days after the completion of the project, using a form provided by the Collective (All original receipts of expenses paid with the award must be kept for submission upon request)
- Showcase and/or give a talk about completed project at an event organized in Toronto by the Collective in March of the following year
- Allow, upon their consent, use of name/pseudonym and photo(s) in our media communications, events, and website
QUESTIONS? Email us: AliMustafaAward@gmail.com.